Technology Localisation Implementation Unit
The Technology Localisation Implementation Unit (TLIU) is an initiative of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and is hosted and incubated by the CSIR. The TLIU was established by the DST to implement the deliverables of its Technology Localisation Plan, which include increasing the productive capacity of local firms.
The TLIU supports the industry through:
- Benchmarking and technology capability evaluation services
- Access to technology platforms or shared technology facilities
- Access to technical expertise
- High-end technical skills development programmes
- Design and tooling support
- Technology transfer benefits
The unit also provides funded technology support to enable more local firms to supply goods to state-owned companies. The support provided assists local firms to enhance their technological capability and supports the placement and hosting of interns.
The unit has assisted original equipment manufacturers to procure items that were previously imported from local suppliers. Successful localisation is viewed as increased local content in capital programmes and operations.